Nothing says Easter more than a sticky hot cross bun oozing with melted chocolate. Hannah (@healthsynergy) and I created a healthy version of the traditionally sugar-laden treat, using coconut sugar (a low GI alternative), cashew mylk and spelt flour. I can vouch that these buns are absolutely impeccable- you will NEVER feel the need to buy them shop-bought ever again!
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup warm cashew mylk
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch cardamon
- Pinch vanilla bean powder
- 1 organic free range egg
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (+ 1 tsp)
- 100g dark chocolate*
- 1 tsp yeast
*We use Loving Earth Dark Chocolate
- Cashew cream or coyo
1. Combine yeast, coconut sugar and warmed cashew milk in a large mixing bowl.
2. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
3. Add flour, spices, vanilla, coconut oil, egg, roughly chopped chocolate and mix well using a wooden spoon.
4. Briefly knead the dough using a floured board*
5. Lightly grease a mixing bowl with 1 tsp coconut oil and place the dough in the bowl.
6. Cover and set aside for approx. 1 hour (this allows the mixture to expand)
7. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius, fan-forced.
8. Divide into 10 equal portions and roll into balls.
9. Arrange on a tray lined with baking paper and sit for about 10 minutes.
10. Place in the oven and bake for approx. 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden and risen.
11. Remove from oven and set aside for a few minutes.
12. Place the coyo or cashew cream in a piping bag and draw crosses on the buns.
13. Serve and enjoy! We love ours with plain and chocolate coyo.